Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Say It With Flowers

Here's what somebody had to say about my roses post.

Rachel Tamed said...
Giving people flowers is such a silly thing. Expensive dead treats - may as well hand me a recently killed puppy and tell me to hold on to it until it gets cold!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there's a reason why they saying goes, "say it with flowers."

AMBROSIA - Your Love is Reciprocated
ARBUTUS - Thee Only Do I Love
ASTER - Symbol of Love, Daintiness
AZALEA - Take Care of Yourself For Me
BEGONIA - Beware
BELLS OF IRELAND - Good Luck
CAMELLIA - Good Luck Gift to a Man
CAMELLIA (PINK) - Longing For You
CAMELLIA (RED) - You're A Flame In My Heart
CAMELLIA (WHITE) - You're Adorable
CANDYTUFT - Indifference
CARNATION (PINK) - I'll Never Forget You
CARNATION (RED) - My Heart Aches For You
CARNATION (SOLID COLOR) - Yes!
CARNATION (STRIPPED) - No!, Refusal, Sorry I Can't Be With You
CARNATION (YELLOW) - You Have Disappointed Me, Rejection
CHRYSANTHEMUM (GENERAL) - You're A Wonderful Friend
CYCLAMEN - Resignation and Good Bye
DAFFODIL - You're The Only One, The Sun Is Always Shining When I'm With You
DAISY - I'll Never tell
FORGET ME NOT - True Love, Memories
GARDENIA - You're Lovely
GLADIOLA - Give Me A Break, I'm Really Sincere
GLOXINIA - Love At First Sight
HYACINTH (PURPLE) - I Am Sorry Please Forgive Me, Sorrow
HYACINTH (WHITE) - I'll Pray For You
HYDRANGEA - Thank You For Understanding,
IRIS - Your Friendship Means So Much To Me, My Compliments
JONQUIL - Affection Returned
LILY (WHITE) - It's Heavenly To Be With You
LILY (YELLOW) -I'm Walking On Air
LILY OF THE VALLEY - You've Made my Life Complete
MISTLETOE - Kiss Me
MONKHOOD - Beware, A Deadly Foe Is Near
NARCISSUS - Stay As Sweet As You Are
NASTURTIUM - Conquest, Victory In Battle
PETUNIA - Your Presence Soothes Me
PRIMROSE - I Can't Live Without You
STOCK - You'll Always Be Beautiful To Me
SWEETPEA - Good-bye, Thank You For A Lovely Time
TULIP (RED) - Believe Me, Declaration Of Love
TULIP (VARIEGATED) - Beautiful Eyes
TULIP (YELLOW) -There's Sunshine In Your Smile
VIOLET (BLUE) - I'll Always Be True
VIOLET (WHITE) - Let's Take A Chance On Happiness
VISCARIA - Will You Dance With Me?
WISTERIA - Welcome
ZINNIA (MIXED) - Thinking (or in Memory) Of An Absent Friend

There's many more! I didn't post all of them. I left out the roses' meanings on purpose. Every colour has a different meaning, or multiple meanings. The roses given to me were red which means, I Love You Passionately.

Courting someone with flowers back in the day was how it was done. The best part about it is that you never had to say a word. Everyone knew what the flowers symbolized. And depending on the region someone lived in, not all flowers were available, which is why many flowers have the same meaning.

There's a reason why nobody has stripped carnations at their wedding and nobody hangs mistle toe at a funeral.

You can say a lot with flowers.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea flowers were such a meaningful thing. I was definitely of the same influence as Rachel Tamed. Which is also another reason I don't really like to give flowers. The message is there, but it only seems to last as long as one to two weeks

    ReplyDelete