Sunday, January 18, 2009

Girl Jumped Off Bridge

I'm at work and I hear that some girl jumped off this bridge in my city. I go to the bridge to check it out with a coworker and the girl is fine. Well, I mean she's going to live. I watched her being carried away on a stretcher and she was moaning loudly. I guess I would moan loudly too if I had just jumped off a bridge and landed on ice and snow.

A woman came up to us and asked what was going on. We told her what we knew and she said, "Why would somebody want to jump off the bridge?"

There were many things I wanted to respond with.

Maybe she thought her life wasn't worth living.
Maybe she couldn't go on any longer feeling the mental pain of life.
Maybe she cried every night hoping that she wouldn't wake up in the morning.
Maybe she just wanted to make a statement.

Life isn't puppies and rainbows for everyone. Some are better off dead. When it comes to suicide, some people forget that there are fates worse than death. Dying is a part of life and we should be able to pick when we die.

Nobody understands this because most people are afriad to die and want to live. People who are afraid of death obviously haven't experienced life quite to the potential that I personally think all people should.

If a friend approached me and confided in me that they were contemplating suicide, I wouldn't stop that person. I'd tell that friend, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. It takes guts to kill yourself. That's why I haven't done it yet. I'm waiting. I still have things to live for right now.

I have to admit though... I kind of wish it was me who had jumped off that bridge today.

1 comment:

  1. this is currently being researched...but so far 100% of people who jump off bridges and survive regret their decision...therefore, jumping off a bridge, pointless.

    ReplyDelete